Dayton Beach Drug Paraphernalia Lawyer
Aggressive Defense Against Drug Paraphernalia Charges in Florida
At Thompson Law, P.A., we are committed to providing professional legal services to our clients in Daytona Beach and the surrounding areas. We specialize in a wide range of legal matters, including drug-related offenses. If you are facing charges related to drug paraphernalia, having a skilled attorney by your side is essential.
Call Thompson Law, P.A. today at (386) 280-4977 or contact us online to schedule a meeting with our drug paraphernalia attorney in Daytona Beach!
What is Drug Paraphernalia?
Drug paraphernalia refers to various items, equipment, or materials used in the manufacturing, packaging, or consumption of controlled substances, such as drugs. The Florida Statutes specifically define drug paraphernalia in Section 893.145. It encompasses a broad range of objects, including but not limited to:
- Pipes and Bongs: Devices used for smoking or inhaling drugs.
- Syringes and Needles: Commonly associated with intravenous drug use.
- Containers: Jars, bags, or other receptacles for storing or concealing controlled substances.
- Scales and Balances: Used for weighing drugs, often to measure portions for sale.
- Spoons and Other Utensils: Frequently employed to prepare drugs for consumption.
- Rolling Papers: Used for making homemade cigarettes, often filled with illicit substances.
- Testing Equipment: Kits or devices designed to test the purity or potency of drugs.
- Roach Clips: Clamps or holders designed for securing partially smoked marijuana cigarettes (roach clips).
Possession, sale, manufacture, or advertisement of drug paraphernalia is illegal in Florida and can lead to serious legal consequences.
What are the Penalties for Drug Paraphernalia in Florida?
The penalties for drug paraphernalia offenses in Florida can vary depending on the specifics of your case and your prior criminal record. However, some common consequences include:
- Misdemeanor Charges: In many cases, drug paraphernalia offenses are classified as first-degree misdemeanors, resulting in up to one year in jail and fines of up to $1,000.
- Felony Charges: If the drug paraphernalia was used with the cultivation, manufacture, or distribution of controlled substances, you could face felony charges. Felonies carry much more severe penalties, including lengthy prison sentences.
- Probation: A judge may also sentence you to probation, including regular drug testing, mandatory counseling or treatment programs, and restricted travel.
- Criminal Record: A conviction for a drug paraphernalia offense can leave a lasting mark on your criminal record, impacting your future employment prospects and other aspects of your life.
Defenses Against Drug Paraphernalia Charges
Facing drug paraphernalia charges can be intimidating, but several potential defenses can be used to protect your rights and challenge the allegations. These defenses may include:
- Lack of Knowledge: Proving that you were unaware that the items in your possession were drug paraphernalia can be a strong defense. Demonstrating that you did not know the items' intended use can cast doubt on the charges against you.
- Illegal Search and Seizure: If the evidence against you was obtained through law enforcement's illegal search or seizure, it may be inadmissible in court. This can lead to the dismissal of your case.
- Valid Medical Prescription: If you have a valid prescription for the items in question, such as syringes or specific medical devices, you may have a strong defense against drug paraphernalia charges.
- Inaccurate Testing or Identification: Challenging the accuracy of the testing or identification of the alleged paraphernalia can also be an effective defense strategy. Mistakes can occur during the testing process, and these errors can be exposed during your defense.
Contact Our Dayton Beach Drug Paraphernalia Attorney Today
Facing drug paraphernalia charges in Daytona Beach, Florida, can be a stressful and daunting experience. The consequences of a conviction can have a lasting impact on your life. Having an experienced attorney by your side is essential to protect your rights and advocate on your behalf.
At Thompson Law, P.A., our legal team is dedicated to providing strong, effective legal representation for individuals facing drug paraphernalia charges. We understand the complexities of Florida's drug laws and will work tirelessly to build a robust defense tailored to your unique situation.
Contact Thompson Law, P.A. today to schedule a consultation with our drug paraphernalia lawyer in Daytona Beach!
Client was texting a friend when her significant other tried to grab for her phone. When the client tried to pull away, the victim claimed that he was battered and the client was arrested and brought before DCF due a child being in the house. Attorney Matt Thompson wrote a letter to the State explaining the discrepancy in evidence and claimed that the client was in fact moving away from the victim and did not intentionally try to hit the victim. All charges against the client were dismissed.
Sale and Possession of Heroin
Defendant entered a treatment facility while case was pending. Attorney Thompson provided progress reports of all of her progress during her stay to show improvement. State agreed to amend all charges to simple possession and the Defendant was sentenced into Drug Court.
Aggravated Assault with a Firearm
Client was accused of shooting a shotgun over the head of two minors. Attorney Thompson did a public records request to discover that officers reported to the scene of the crime the night of the incident and spoke to the victims on the evening the alleged crime occurred and believed the victims to be intoxicated and unreliable. Attorney Thompson conducted depositions of the officers and ultimately all charges were reduced to a misdemeanor and no incarceration.
Grand Theft, Fleeing, Possession of a Fictitious Driver’s License
Attorney Matt Thompson, through depositions and litigation was able to show that officers did not act according to the warrant by picking up the client immediately upon sight. The charge of Fleeing or Attempting to Elude Law Enforcement, which carries a mandatory felony conviction, was dismissed by the State and the client was offered probation and no felony conviction.
Sexual Battery & Domestic Battery
Mr. Thompson took depositions of the victim showing that the victim was not truthful with police when she provided her statement as to what happened. Confronted victim with social media posts, bank records, and telephone records to show that she was not in the places that she stated she was during the time the alleged crime took place. Case 1 was dismissed and the Defendant pled to Case 2 and received two (2) years of prison and credit for fifteen (15) months in prison.
Over 15 Years of ExperienceThere's no substitute for experience. When faced with a serious crime, you need an attorney who has successfully handled numerous cases like yours.
Aggressive Trial AttorneyMatt Thompson is a skilled trial attorney and has achieved many positive jury verdicts. If your case goes to trial, you can be confident that Matt is equipped to represent you.
High-Quality Legal RepresentationAt Thompson Law, P.A., every client matters. This means that your case will receive the personal attention and care it deserves.
Criminal Defense Is All We DoBecause our firm only focuses on criminal defense matters, you can trust our team has the specific knowledge needed to handle you case successfully.